Skip to main content

How bad do you want it?




I never thought I would enjoy doing outreach. Most of my employment experiences in the field of Social Work have been where the client comes to me, but I've gotta say, being able to get out of the office can literally be a breath of fresh air. Yesterday, while out in the field I had the pleasure of passing by my Alma Mater, Brooklyn College on the way to a home visit for one of my clients. It felt so good to pass by my old college campus.
After a couple of attempts at college, in 2001 when my oldest son Jelani  was 2 years old I decided to enroll at Brooklyn College. Attending college and getting a degree was always stressed in my house growing up and it was expected. It was something I knew I needed to get ahead in life and not only would it allow me to broaden my opportunities, I also found out that it would provide me we with a sense of accomplishment and pride. I jumped in at Brooklyn College full force majoring in Sociology and minoring in Africana Studies. I was finally taking College seriously and began to get closer and closer to graduating. I finally had the desire to get my degree and I wanted it so bad I  even took  Sunday class one semester. ☺️
During my last semester (2005) I was pregnant with my middle child Jahtiba. I remember walking into classes that February with my 6 month old belly determined to complete my final course work for my Bachelors Degree. I was told I would be due to give birth during May, which would be the end of the Spring semester.  I ended up giving birth 1 month early due to complications with a condition called pre-eclampsia. Jahtiba was born on April 23, 2005 and weighed 4lbs 5oz. He had to stay in the hospital for 1 week due to his blood sugar level being low, it was the worst feeling ever. This all happened during the final weeks of my last Spring semester at Brooklyn College. Amazingly, after giving birth I was able to return to classes around two weeks later to the suprise of my professors, who were so understanding. I often say that it was the blood of my African ancestors running through my veins that alowed me to gain  such strength. Not only that but,  having my family who I like to call "the village" there for additional support added to my resiliance in returning to classes. Determination and a strong desire to graduate were also major reasons for my accomplishment during that time. I  was able to take my finals, complete and make up any term papers that were due and take part in the class of 2005 commencement ceremony, all while caring for a premature baby.
The day of the ceremony seemed like the hottest day ever. I remember sitting with my counterparts on the beautiful Brooklyn College campus with the sun beaming down on us. Many of us took off our cap and gowns due to the intense heat. Of course my mother, father and friends came out to support me on this exciting day of accomplishment. My father, who had been retired by then,  had began taking courses in photography at Fashion Institute of Technology, so  he came with his professional camera and captured some of the moments. He seemed more excited than me and for the first time I saw him cry. I remember him telling me how proud he was of me. The look of joy and happiness that fell over his and my mothers face were priceless. After the commencement we went to the historical Lundy's Restaurant located in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. I will never forget that day and every time I walk past Brooklyn College I am reminded of that accomplishment and how badly I wanted it.





   


      





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mothers and Daughters

Brenda Edwards and her mother Annie Edwards circa  1984

I loved my mother very much and still do, but at some point, l realized she wasn't flawless. These were intermittent episodes throughout our mother-daughter relationship when I became aware of her imperfections. Before this crucial discovery, she was a glorious,mystical beauty of perfection who solved all my problems and made the boogie man go away.

Depending on what I was going through in my own life, my judgment of mom wavered from harsh criticism, embarrassment,to downright anger.

Take the time when she decided to awaken my sister and me while we were fast asleep in our cozy beds one winter night, just to fulfill a simple chore of taking out the trash and washing the dishes. I couldn't have been any more than 12 and my sister was about 16. We grumbled, but not too loud for fear of the wrath from mom that would follow. She seemed to feel that this one small error would lead us down…

Dear Grandson

Dear Grandson,
On the eve of your 18th birthday, I am hoping to give you some thoughts that will excite you about delving into what's ahead ofyou're beautiful, incredible and spirited life.
The beauty begins each time you pick yourself up and continue on a positive path no matter what others say or do. And when you realize that much of the hate, violence andsimple apathy surrounding your presence has very little to do with you, but with how the world has been taught to view you as a very tall, very dark African-American male who represents their own confusion, ignorance, and fears.They do not understand that you are no one's enemy and that you are simply attempting to have a beautiful life.
With the wake of the new political administration, these are turbulent times. But guess what, since we as Africans and now African-Americans have arrived here since 1619, we have always endured turbulent times and yet we have done more than just survived.
We have resisted enslavement, refus…

School Busing Days by Brenda Edwards

In 1966 I became part of New York City's School busing program. The challenge was that students from neighborhoods such as mind, the predominantly African-American Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn would attend schools in neighborhoods such as, at that time, the predominantly white Flatbush section of Brooklyn.

This program was to solve some of the inequities and create a sense of desegregation in the inner city schools.

From six to seventh grade, I would travel on the yellow school bus that would pick me up in my neighborhood and travel what felt like an eternity to my new school. The pick up would include cruising through various areas of Bed-Stuy collecting other African-American and a few Latino children to be transported to our various destinations throughout the Flatbush area. We often joked among ourselves as the bus approached the Fulton Street L, that we were crossing the tracks mimicking the Mason-Dixon line that separated the north from the south.
Please do not get me…