Skip to main content

Keep Going, No Matter What!!



For the past couple of weeks my mood has been great. I've really been feeling good and I partially owe it to my new workout routine. For the past 2 months I've restarted my fitness routine and I am enjoying the thrill of working out, the releasing of those endorphins and the natural high that I experience when I finish working out. After a good workout I feel like I can achieve anything.

This isn't the first time that I've started a workout routine. Over the course of five years I have started and began again with exercise and fitness. Somewhere along the line, a major life change has happened that has stopped my workout routine in its tracks. One thing that has not changed through it all is my eating habits, throughout my starting and stopping of working out, I have managed to continue to eat healthy foods.

About 2 years ago I began a jogging routine that I quickly adapted to. I started out walking and within a week I was jogging half of Prospect Park. It was the most thrilling and rewarding thing I could do for myself and I got a chance to experience the "runners high" that I had heard about. About 5-6 months into my jogging routine, I found out that I was pregnant. Although I didn't immediately discontinue my jogging routine, eventually it fell by the waste side.

After having my son Jabari, I quickly started over with Zumba and working out at BLINK with my significant other. While I was out of work on maternity leave, I enjoyed my routine of 2x's per week messing up the dance moves at Zumba, sweating and, having so much fun at the same time!! I also began trying Yoga during this time which I completely got attached to. So for about 3-4 months I was doing Zumba and Yoga as well as working out with my other half  1-2x's per week.

 I started Yoga with Hatha Classical Yoga, and then Bikram Yoga ( Hot Yoga). Hot Yoga is definitely my favorite and I quickly became attached to it. The meditational aspects of Yoga drew me in deep and the feelings of complete calmness that I got during and after YOGA kept me wanting more. Finally, I was able to juggle the responsibilities of being a mom of a newborn and 2 other children while incorporating exercise into my lifestyle. Then,  I became employed as a Case Manager at CAMBA, my Zumba and Yoga routine stopped dead in its tracks. Since November I have been employed at CAMBA and I have been thinking about how to incorporate the Yoga and Zumba routine back into my lifestyle.

Fast forward to February 2015. I joined BLINK fitness and made a new commitment to take care of myself by exercising and eating well. I used to be a little intimidated by gyms, but I quickly got the hang of it and pushed past my fears. Recently, someone suggested to use the Stair Master machine at the gym. This humongous machine at the gym, just the look of it seems challenging and every time I'm at the gym I hardly see anyone using it. So of course this sparked my attention. When I first started using it I got tired so easily, I could only go for about 3-5 minuets but last week while at the gym I was able to go nonstop for 11 minuets. I was so proud of myself!!! It's amazing what the human body can do and I can't wait to see how  much more I can transform my mind, body and spirit with exercise. Right now I don't get on the scale excessively and have not meal planned or anything like that, I'm just enjoying my routines and feeling good about it. By making a plan, sticking to it and utilizing my family resources, I have been able to get back into my routine. I am still longing for Zumba and Yoga and will also figure out how to incorporate those back into my schedule. I realize that no matter how many times I have to start over I will keep going no matter what!





Information on where I go for Yoga, Zumba and Blink

http://emblemhealthlivehealthy.com/upcoming-events/#zumba-2015-03-16

http://www.bikramyogaparkslope.com/

http://www.blinkfitness.com/locations/utica



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mothers and Daughters

Brenda Edwards and her mother Annie Edwards circa  1984

I loved my mother very much and still do, but at some point, l realized she wasn't flawless. These were intermittent episodes throughout our mother-daughter relationship when I became aware of her imperfections. Before this crucial discovery, she was a glorious,mystical beauty of perfection who solved all my problems and made the boogie man go away.

Depending on what I was going through in my own life, my judgment of mom wavered from harsh criticism, embarrassment,to downright anger.

Take the time when she decided to awaken my sister and me while we were fast asleep in our cozy beds one winter night, just to fulfill a simple chore of taking out the trash and washing the dishes. I couldn't have been any more than 12 and my sister was about 16. We grumbled, but not too loud for fear of the wrath from mom that would follow. She seemed to feel that this one small error would lead us down…

Dear Grandson

Dear Grandson,
On the eve of your 18th birthday, I am hoping to give you some thoughts that will excite you about delving into what's ahead ofyou're beautiful, incredible and spirited life.
The beauty begins each time you pick yourself up and continue on a positive path no matter what others say or do. And when you realize that much of the hate, violence andsimple apathy surrounding your presence has very little to do with you, but with how the world has been taught to view you as a very tall, very dark African-American male who represents their own confusion, ignorance, and fears.They do not understand that you are no one's enemy and that you are simply attempting to have a beautiful life.
With the wake of the new political administration, these are turbulent times. But guess what, since we as Africans and now African-Americans have arrived here since 1619, we have always endured turbulent times and yet we have done more than just survived.
We have resisted enslavement, refus…

School Busing Days by Brenda Edwards

In 1966 I became part of New York City's School busing program. The challenge was that students from neighborhoods such as mind, the predominantly African-American Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn would attend schools in neighborhoods such as, at that time, the predominantly white Flatbush section of Brooklyn.

This program was to solve some of the inequities and create a sense of desegregation in the inner city schools.

From six to seventh grade, I would travel on the yellow school bus that would pick me up in my neighborhood and travel what felt like an eternity to my new school. The pick up would include cruising through various areas of Bed-Stuy collecting other African-American and a few Latino children to be transported to our various destinations throughout the Flatbush area. We often joked among ourselves as the bus approached the Fulton Street L, that we were crossing the tracks mimicking the Mason-Dixon line that separated the north from the south.
Please do not get me…