Skip to main content

Peeling back the layers!




Yesterday morning, on my way to work, I decided to get off the bus a stop early to take a picture of a mural of Malcolm X and Harriet Tubman. Every morning I get a glimpse of that mural and I kept saying to myself how I would really love to take a photo of it. The strength in the mural always catches my eye and gives me much more motivation to endure another day. This mural which is painted on the side of the back entrance to Boys and Girls High School takes me back to my childhood as I am in the midst of peeling back the layers and getting to know myself on a deeper level. I am reminded of the African Street Festival now known as The International African Arts Festival that has been around for over 40 years. The festival was an event that my family and I would look forward to. I am also reminded of attending the private elementary school Weusi Shule, (which means Black School in Swahili). One of the founding fathers of The International Arts Festival, Jitu Weusi was also the founder of Weusi Shule.
As I walked through to the entrance of Boys and Girls High School, I was taken back to the time when the festival was housed in the school’s outdoor track field. Such vivid memories ran through my mind. This was a time when life was simple for me. It was a time when Brooklyn, the Bedford Stuyvesant section to be exact, was still occupied by those I choose to call its original inhabitants (yes, I do realize that this is not historically correct). Every year we would attend this festival and be surrounded by African art and culture. This was definitely the place to be and where you could meet up with old and new friends. You could see the vibrant colors of all the wares of the hundreds of venders. Smell the savory, salty sweet aromas of traditional and non traditional foods that would be sold and be surrounded by the beauty of African Culture. There would be performances of indigenous pulsating, rhythmic African dance and music as well as spoken word and art exhibits.
As a little girl, I always looked forward to attending what was then called the African Street Festival, which I still call it today. This would be a time to hang out with friends and family. I remember going with my mother, father, cousins and later with my little brother. Being surrounded by my culture always made me feel proud and excited.
It has been eye opening to remember things that have molded and shaped me into the person that I am today. Like Sankofa, I realize that it is necessary to take a look back in order to move forward. In my process of nurturing myself and the healing of myself, I am constantly examining the experiences that have molded and shaped me into the person I am today. The African Street Festival is one of those experiences that I will never forget and that I still enjoy attending every year. 



 
 Beautiful Art Work located on the front entrance of Boys and girls High School





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mothers and Daughters

Brenda Edwards and her mother Annie Edwards circa  1984

I loved my mother very much and still do, but at some point, l realized she wasn't flawless. These were intermittent episodes throughout our mother-daughter relationship when I became aware of her imperfections. Before this crucial discovery, she was a glorious,mystical beauty of perfection who solved all my problems and made the boogie man go away.

Depending on what I was going through in my own life, my judgment of mom wavered from harsh criticism, embarrassment,to downright anger.

Take the time when she decided to awaken my sister and me while we were fast asleep in our cozy beds one winter night, just to fulfill a simple chore of taking out the trash and washing the dishes. I couldn't have been any more than 12 and my sister was about 16. We grumbled, but not too loud for fear of the wrath from mom that would follow. She seemed to feel that this one small error would lead us down…

Dear Grandson

Dear Grandson,
On the eve of your 18th birthday, I am hoping to give you some thoughts that will excite you about delving into what's ahead ofyou're beautiful, incredible and spirited life.
The beauty begins each time you pick yourself up and continue on a positive path no matter what others say or do. And when you realize that much of the hate, violence andsimple apathy surrounding your presence has very little to do with you, but with how the world has been taught to view you as a very tall, very dark African-American male who represents their own confusion, ignorance, and fears.They do not understand that you are no one's enemy and that you are simply attempting to have a beautiful life.
With the wake of the new political administration, these are turbulent times. But guess what, since we as Africans and now African-Americans have arrived here since 1619, we have always endured turbulent times and yet we have done more than just survived.
We have resisted enslavement, refus…

School Busing Days by Brenda Edwards

In 1966 I became part of New York City's School busing program. The challenge was that students from neighborhoods such as mind, the predominantly African-American Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn would attend schools in neighborhoods such as, at that time, the predominantly white Flatbush section of Brooklyn.

This program was to solve some of the inequities and create a sense of desegregation in the inner city schools.

From six to seventh grade, I would travel on the yellow school bus that would pick me up in my neighborhood and travel what felt like an eternity to my new school. The pick up would include cruising through various areas of Bed-Stuy collecting other African-American and a few Latino children to be transported to our various destinations throughout the Flatbush area. We often joked among ourselves as the bus approached the Fulton Street L, that we were crossing the tracks mimicking the Mason-Dixon line that separated the north from the south.
Please do not get me…