Skip to main content

School Busing Days by Brenda Edwards



In 1966 I became part of New York City's School busing program. The challenge was that students from neighborhoods such as mind, the predominantly African-American Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn would attend schools in neighborhoods such as, at that time, the predominantly white Flatbush section of Brooklyn.

This program was to solve some of the inequities and create a sense of desegregation in the inner city schools.

From six to seventh grade, I would travel on the yellow school bus that would pick me up in my neighborhood and travel what felt like an eternity to my new school. The pick up would include cruising through various areas of Bed-Stuy collecting other African-American and a few Latino children to be transported to our various destinations throughout the Flatbush area. We often joked among ourselves as the bus approached the Fulton Street L, that we were crossing the tracks mimicking the Mason-Dixon line that separated the north from the south.
Please do not get me wrong; this was not necessarily an entirely unpleasant experience. I got to socialize and meet those who would become a friend or two on the bus, and become privy to a better quality of education, but the confusion for me was, if the school busing program was to desegregate schools, why were so many of the black and Latino students placed in classes all to themselves? Was that not a form of segregation?

Looking back, I can only surmise that this had something to do with the low level of academic training received by those of us attending an all black school in the inner city. There seemed to be very little recourse or effective planning for students though intelligent were lacking in skills. And there were those who had succumbed to the self-fulfilling prophecy:remaining stagnant in the ideas of others who believed that black students could not do well simply because they were black as if it was an inherent characteristic.

I was one of the black students who was placed in the classes of predominantly white students. I struggled with the work for that first year. Besides being in culture shock, I realized that I was quite behind in academics as opposed to my new classmates. Yet, I had been considered one of the brightest and capable students at my old school.

Luckily the teacher recognized and appreciated my efforts and gave me the extra attention I needed. I was able to catch up and once again become confident in my abilities.

With that problem being solved for the most part, I entered junior high school in the same neighborhood. No more yellow school bus; we would come and go on our own utilizing New York City transportation. I would like to think that the completely empty MTA buses that awaited us outside of the school each day was an act of courtesy, but my instincts tell me that it was to ensure that we would be out of  Flatbush and expediently deposited into our own hood.

As a retired educator, I wonder what has really changed? What was the real purpose of those school busing days back in 1966? It seems to me it was an effort steeped in delusions.


Comments

Unknown said…
Love reading your blogs. Hope there is more to come.

Popular posts from this blog

Whats wrong with the school system ? By Brenda Edwards

As a retired New York City educator, every once in a while someone will ask me what is my perception of the failings of the New York City school system. Well,I believe it's a number of things. First of all, when people ask what's wrong with the school system,they often are really asking why are the inner-city kids not progressing as they should and displaying such hostile behavior.Why are these students so out of touch with education, they wonder.But what they really mean is, what's wrong with the African-American, African Caribbean and Latino students who comprise the majority of the inner-city schools. Having been an African-American student myself and then becoming a teacher, I say let's look at the history that is so very much a part of us and how that history reflects what it means for black and brown people today transitioning from being considered subhuman to enslavement, to Jim crow/segregation,lynchings and poverty.Let's look at the subliminal me

A Day Of Remembrance

Picture shown above of Annie Edwards and Mark Edwards holding their daughter Brenda Edwards  It was a day of remembrance as I walked  through the Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn where I was raised six decades ago.It was a day of ambivalence as an incongruent feeling of happiness and sadness shrouded my inner being.I began to reflect on those who were once so much a crucial  part of my life and had now either passed away or we simply grew apart delving into life's challenges.I felt the spirit of those souls and smiled. I pictured my friends and myself briskly running down Sumner Avenue and then back down Halsey Street and over to Lewis Avenue playing those childhood games of the times:tag,hop scotch,red light-green light,jumping double dutch rope and simply languishing in those long summer days and chilling winters. I thought about how I had attended the storefront church which ironically was perched on top of a pool hall. I thought about Sunday School and how I never u